A genuine merger of the Christian and Arab styles
This refers to two Moorish houses that date back to the 14th century. Their architecture and decoration present both Moorish and Christian elements and the two buildings are linked to one another by a plaster arch. Given the reuse of arches and columns from older constructions, it is believed that it formed a part of the Moorish palace of Dar al-Bayda.
Located in the Albaicín district, where the Cuesta del Chapiz meets the Camino del Sacromonte, this construction has been declared a monument of cultural importance(BIC). It takes its name from its owners, the Moorish converts Lorenzo ‘el Chapiz’ and Hernando López ‘el Ferí’.
Since 1932, this building has housed the School of Arabic Studies, which focuses, on the one hand, on the study of the history of al-Andalus texts, and, on the other, on Islamic archaeology and architecture. Photos: School of Arabic Studies .
Visit the House of Chapiz with the GRANADA CARD.
Photo by Javier Sánchez