Currently closed for restoration, the rich facade can still be admired
The Archaeological Museum of Granada is located on the Carrera del Darro, in the historical quarter of the Albaicín, in a building known as the Casa de Castril, a stately home dating back to the 16th century, constructed by the grandson of Hernando de Zafra once Charles V had granted authorisation.
It was one of the first archaeological museums to be founded in Spain and was officially inaugurated in 1879 as a result of the efforts of the Monuments Commission and the City Hall of Granada. Previously, in 1865, the Provincial Monuments Commission had created a museum of antiquities from which it arose.
The museum's collection is housed on two storeys in 7 exhibition halls that chart various archaeological eras, taking in discoveries from the Palaeolithic and Neolithic periods found in the province of Granada, along with articles produced by the Iberians, Phoenicians, Romans and Moors, which are of considerable value. It is a dependency of the Ministry of Culture within the Autonomous Government of Andalusia.